Related Reading: Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac Overview
- View the Parade of Boats and the Start of the Race from Navy Pier.The festivities usually begin with a parade of boats off of Navy Pier. It usually runs between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 18 and can be viewed from the east end of Navy Pier, second tier. The parade of boats will be followed by the official start of the race.
- Follow online. Last year's Mac was the largest offshore yacht race ever tracked via GPS transponders. Every entrant is now required to have one on board. With the GPS, the race moved to a new level of accessibility for spectators. You can follow a single boat or all of them online at the official race site. Choose "Race Results."
- Follow the Race to Mackinac on Twitter at @RacetoMackinac or become a Facebook fan of the Race to Mackinac or join the Facebook group for race updates and to connect with the sailing crews.
- Watch from another boat.The Red Witch, a 77-foot schooner located in Chicago's Burnham Harbor, often features special day-of-the-race outings. You can also try getting out on one of Navy Pier's many tourist boats. Learn more about that here.
- Bring binoculars and watch from shore. From Olive Park south to Monroe, you'll be able to see the hundreds of boats as they head out to compete.