1) Gamble What you Can afford to Lose: It’s simple as that. Don’t gamble what you’re not willing to give up. In Chicago, many people in sports bars do the opposite, leaving them almost broke. By actually gambling your extra money, you won’t be risking the possibility of losing everything you own, making it more of a pastime rather than something that one needs to bet their entire existence on to live.
2) Learn The Points System: Next is to actually learn how to play the game. When you do bet, a helpful tip is to watch what the spread says. Look at who’s playing and find out who’s the underdog. If you bet on the favored team, you bet only if the team wins and they win by the amount of points specified. This will take some research, but once you got the hang of it, you will be able to bet wisely. If you bet on the underdog, you would win if they either won, tied, or if the favored team did not exceed the margin specified. By keeping this in mind you can see who would be the best bet for the game. There is also the over/under method, which will say if the combined score will be over or under a certain number. If it is, you tend to win money. This betting system is only used in football, and a person can use this while rooting for their favorite Chicago sports team. (Also read: Best Sports Bars to Watch a Bulls Game)
3) Learning About the Money Line: Things are a little different when it comes to baseball and hockey. They employ a money line which takes out the point system entirely. That being said, if there’s a plus sign that indicates the favorite and it shows how much you’d have to bet to win $100. If there’s a minus sign that indicates the underdog which if one bets $100 on the underdog and they have -120 in front of them then if the underdog wins they pocket $120.
4) Pay Attention to The Road Record: The away record is a very important factor in looking at which team to bet on. Road records show how they really play despite not being at home. With regards to NCAA betting, choose a team with a solid road record. Go for a team that has been doing good overall, but can also be kind of random. Remember, if the team is considered the underdog then it’s possible one could pocket way more money than expected.
5) Go for Goliath, not David: Finally, when rooting for teams, go for Goliath as opposed to David. All but one of the winners have been from the Big 10, Pac-12, or ACC. By looking for the best teams, you are more then likely to win to a degree. Another way is to also look for the future NBA stars out there. You should look over the teams to see who has not only one possible NBA player, but two or three. Also look into the point guard; for example if Chicago has a proven point guard they are more then likely to get the ball down the court and score. (Also read: Sports Betting Basics and Intermediate Sports Betting)