It was originally built around 1836 at approximately 16th Street and Michigan Avenue in what was then countryside. It is believed to be the city's oldest surviving building (but there is now a second structure vying for that honor). After the Chicago Fire in 1871, it was relocated and moved two more times before relocating to its current site in 1977.
The Clarke House was designated a Chicago Landmark in 1970, and it was later purchased and restored by the city. The original architect is unknown. Tours of the Clarke House Museum are offered through the nearby Glessner House Museum.
This photo tour begins with the house's east side and moves clockwise around its exterior. Enjoy.
- Graphic Index
- Text Index