National Prayer Service Date and TimeJanuary 21, 2009. Doors open at 7:30 a.m. EST. Service at 9:30 a.m. EST (approximate).
National Prayer Service LocationThe National Cathedral
3101 Wisconsin Avenue
National Prayer Service OverviewAccording to organizers, the prayer service will "embody the themes of tolerance, unity, and understanding." It will be an interfaith service.
The sermon will be given by Sharon E. Watkins, General Minister and President, Disciples of Christ (Christian Church). Reverend Watkins will be the first woman to deliver a sermon at a National Prayer Service. It is not clear yet where in the service schedule her sermon will come.
The music will be provided by the Washington D.C.-based Gospel Children's Choir.
Attendance is by invitation only and tickets will be required.
National Prayer Service ProgramWelcome - Reverend Samuel T. Lloyd III, Dean of the Washington Cathedral
Invocation - Reverend John Bryon Chane, Episcopal Bishop of Washington
Opening Prayer - Reverend Otis Moss Jr., Senior Pastor Emeritus, Olivet Institutional Baptist Church in Cleveland, Ohio
Prayer for Civil Leaders - Reverend Andy Stanley, Senior Pastor, North Point Community Church, Alpharetta, Georgia
Scripture Readings - Dr. Cynthia Hale, Senior Pastor, Ray of Hope Christian Church, Atlanta, Georgia, Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America, New York City, and the Most Reverend Francisco Gonzalez, S.F., Auxiliary Bishop of Washington
Psalm Reading - Rabbi David Saperstein, Executive Director, Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Ingrid Mattson, President, Islamic Society of North America, Hartford, CT
- Rev. Suzan Johnson-Cook, Senior Pastor, Bronx Christian Fellowship, New York City
- Rabbi Jerome Epstein, Director, United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, New York City
- Rev. Carol Wade of the Washington National Cathedral
- Dr. Uma Mysorekar, President, Hindu Temple Society of North America, New York City
- Rev. Jim Wallis, President, Sojourners, Washington, D.C.
- Rabbi Haskal Lookstein, Congregation Kehilath Jeshurunm, New York City
- Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, Senior Pastor, Windsor Village United Methodist Church, Houston, TX
Closing Prayer - Bishop Katherine Jefferts-Schori, Presiding Bishop, Episcopal Church USA
Benediction - Reverend Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, General Secretary of the Reformed Church in America