Summer may officially arrive this month, but Chicagoans claimed it much earlier. Find Chicago June events and great things to do as you sink into summer. Check back often as new events are always being added.
Highlights: Blues Fest |Chicago Gay Pride Month Events | Father's Day|Gospel Fest |Taste of Chicago
- The Raven - Friday, June 5 to Sunday, June 7
Ravenswood hosts this family-friendly festival on the 4700 block of North Ashland.
- 25th Annual Gospel Music Festival - Saturday, June 6 to Sunday, June 7
It's all about praise, glory, and great voices. It's also proof that summer is here with the first free music fest of the season and the only one held at Millennium Park. More reason for praise, no?
- 13.1 Marathon - Sunday, June 7
The inaugural running of this "moving block party" marathon kicks off this year. According to organizers, "13.1 isn't half of anything, it's a 13.1 mile race."
- Chicago Botanic Garden Wine Festival - Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7
Eat, drink, be in the green.
- Chicago Caribbean Jerk Fest - Saturday, June 6
The second annual festival of 34 Caribbean islands. Yeah mon.
- 57th Street Art Fair - Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7
The grandmother of Chicago art fairs turns 62 this year. She has never looked so good.
- Metronome Celebration - Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7
A new music fest spills into the eclectic Logan Square neighborhood and promises a rich audio experience. Four different musical genres are featured over two days -- rock, electronic, punk and folk.
- Printers Row Book Fair - Saturday, June 6 and Sunday, June 7
Get away from the screen this spring and re-connect with the printed word.
- Grant Park Music Festival Opens in Millennium Park - Wednesday, June 10
Free and beautiful for 75 years. Bring your own blanket. (Read a brief history of the Grant Park Music Festival.)
- Chicago Blues Music Festival - Friday, June 12 to Sunday, June 14
Get your mojo workin at this free festival. See Blues Fest photos.
- 2nd Annual Pastor's Salute - Saturday, June 13
The Chicago Defender hosts this pastor-appreciation gala at the Chicago Hilton. More than a dozen pastors will be honored.
- I AM Fest - Saturday, June 13
The Independent Arts and Music Fest will take place at Congress Theater.
- Old Town Art Fair - Saturday, June 13 and Sunday, June 14
The 60th celebration of art and music finds its younger, unrelated neighbor, the Wells Street Art Festival (see below), cropping up in the same weekend for an arts-centric Old Town weekend.
- Wells Street Arts Festival - Saturday, June 13 and Sunday, June 14
The other annual arts festival in Old Town along with the Old Town Arts Festival. This one celebrates 34 this year.
- Andersonville's Midsommarfest - Saturday, June 13 and Sunday, June 14
Andersonville's street festival draws nearly 40,000 people to this popular neighborhood.
- Bronzeville Cultural Festival - Thursday, June 18 to Sunday, June 21
Featuring:Bronzeville Film Festival - Thursday, June 18 to Sunday, June 21
A broad celebration of black history, images, and culture.
- Puerto Rican Parade - Saturday, June 20
The downtown Chicago Puerto Rican parade begins at noon at Columbus and Balbo.
- Chicago Summerfest - Saturday, June 20 to Sunday, June 21
Lincoln Park's Cultural Center is the epicenter for this two-day outdoor celebration.
- Taste of Randolph Street Festival - Friday, June 19 to Sunday, June 21
Mmmm. Some of Chicago's best restaurants all lined up and ready to sample. Great music, too.
- Father's Day - Sunday, June 21
Don't forget to celebrate the day of the dad.
- Chicago Arabesque Festival - Wednesday, June 24 through Saturday, June 27
A non-religious, non-political festival celebrating 12 of the 22 Arab countries and reminding us of all the wonderful aspects of this ancient culture. Held at Daley Plaza.
- Chicago Salsa Festival - Thursday, June 25 to Sunday, June 28
The dance kind, not the condiment kind. Workshops, performances, and music promise spice for life.
- Chicago Soul Music Festival - Friday, June 26 to Sunday, June 28
This is the inaugural Chicago Soul Music Festival scheduled to take place in Union Park on the city's near west side.
- Illinois Shakespeare Festival - Thursday, June 25 through August 29
Normal, IL hosts the 32nd festival of bard Will. All plays are staged in an open-air theater. Picnics are encouraged.
- Taste of Chicago - Friday, June 26 through July 5
Fill your belly well(y).
- 38th Annual RainbowPUSH Coalition Conference - Saturday, June 27 through Wednesday, July 1
Al Sharpton, Arne Duncan, Jesse Jackson, Jr. and more headline at this year's PUSH Coalition conference.
- Chicago's Gay and Lesbian Pride Parade - Sunday, June 28
Since 1969, Chicago's LGBT community celebrates pride month every year on the last Sunday in June with this exuberant parade.