Summer is an ideal time to spend with your family. Kids are off from school, unless they go to a year round school, then they are usually off for at least a couple weeks. Taking vacation time from work is also more doable for parents this time of year when things slow down.
With gas prices still on the rise, spending a family vacation getting to know your hometown of Chicago can be both economical and fun. Here are some ideas for ways to bond with your kids and make this summer memorable for them.
- Spend the day at the Shedd Aquarium and enjoy one of the Shedd's special summertime events such as its Jellies exhibit where families can learn about these mysterious creatures of the sea.
- Swim and make sand castles at one of Chicago beaches where you can also take walks, play volleyball and enjoy a picnic lunch.
- Take a break from the heat and visit one of Chicago's top museums, the Art Institute of Chicago, which includes European and African art and a new Modern Art Wing.
- Watch planes soar overhead during Chicago's annual Air & Water Show 2012 at North Avenue Beach August 17-19.
- Take the kids on a sail on Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier. Sails include haunted themes, history, and fireworks sails Wednesday and Saturday nights.